Thursday, August 27, 2009

Not interested, so why bother?

Working a sales office on a Saturday can bring out some interesting folks. Since we do put out a sign advertising our "model home," it is to be expected that people will stop by interested in seeing our attractive decor or construction to get ideas for their own home.

I have worked many Saturdays, and I get pretty good at identifying the "Looky Lou's." Certainly nothing against LL's. I keep a feeling deep inside that these people will eventually meet someone age-and-income qualified to live here and exclaim, "Oh, by happenstance, I just stopped in there to see their drapes. That community will knock your socks off, and the sales team is SO SWEET..."

So any time a couple meanders into the model home with no intent of ever living in a retirement community, I put on a smile and just imagine that they will pass along the word to someone they know.

A few Saturdays ago, that smile was hard to find.

40ish couple walks in.
She: How big are your homes here?
Me: Well, we will have homes and apartments of all sizes. Are you looking for a retirement community for someone you know?
She: Retirement? Ick, no.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry, but in this community you would have to be 62 to live here.
She: I just want to see your model.
Me: Sure, come on in. I show them some of the scale model.
He: How much does this cost?
Me: Depends on the home, we are entrance fee, etc., etc.
He: Health Care costs? This place sounds dreadful.

Since we haven't even gotten to the model home, I politely explained that they certainly didn't need to take the time to see the rest if they thought it was "dreadful."

She: I can't believe people would purchase a home here.
Me: Sorry you feel that way; we actually have reserved most of our homes here.
He: I hope I didn't offend you by calling your place dreadful.
Me:(Starting to think these people are never going to run into a potential resident) Of course not! Not at all, I hope you all have good luck on your search for a new home. (Hint, hint...)

Finally, they exited, but it made me wonder if they spend most of their Saturday dropping into Model Homes to make people feel bad about themselves.

Of course, leave it to an experience like that to turn things around. Exactly one week later, two unassuming LL's drop by and completely make my day. In fact, they really made my week. I'll never think of a "walk-in" the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment