Thursday, August 6, 2009

Slogging in the rain = broken iPod

Unfortunately, our romantic slog in the rain came with a consequence. My iPod trackwheel has stopped working. After spending an hour waiting at the "Genius" bar, Genius Brian deemed the relatively youthful iPod Nano broken and 2 months out of warranty. Thank you, Genius Brian.

In the process, they did explain how to restart the Nano and restore the Nano, but unfortunately none of those techniques can make a trackwheel start to work again. Conveniently, they can give me 10% off a new Nano. I declined their generous offer.

Spending 30 minuntes at the Genius bar should be required of anyone enamored with Apple's slick looking electronic equipment. People were waiting for hours to learn about $299 upgrades to their $599 iPhones that would give them the app to use iPhoto on their iPhone. In the time I was waiting, three people came to the bar with batteries that wouldn't charge. I wonder if Windows opened up a store, what would their help desk be called? Would there be a 2-hour wait for an appointment?

I was impressed with myself that I was able to walk out of the Apple store without spending any money. Thankfully, I had a back up Nano at home. Slightly older, but it still works. Come to think of it, this Nano is a replacement Nano. I think the first one had some battery problems.

3 comments:

  1. Most echo boomers would have left the store with a $599 Nano replacement. The baby boomers are proud of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try putting it in a baggie with dry rice. Seriously, it will draw the moisture out. I've saved many cell phones that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let's not celebrate this Echo Boomer yet. I eventually returned to the Apple store with the intent of getting a Shuffle for running only, and ended up with a new Nano. I am going to try the dry rice idea though.

    ReplyDelete